Sunday, January 03, 2010

Blog #2--NSO

Hello everyone!


I got on campus on January 1st. It was really quiet, because not many were there yet. But the campus is huge! When I had to find the building WSC for our NSO, I got lost. That is no surprise, as I usually get lost in unknown locations. But now I feel more comfortable, cause while I was wandering around the campus trying to find the right buildings, I got a chance to get to know what is around me. I met my roommate, and she is super nice, so I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable here. 

Yesterday was NSO. And I'm really, really glad I went. NSO prepared me for studying, it helped me to understand what I am really here for. I got really inspired and excited to enjoy all that I can here on campus. Also, understanding the history of this school and that it was built from determination, inspiration and hard work, I could appreciate this wonderful opportunity to study here even more. I definitely think it is a must for all new students to attend NSO. There is one more important thing - at and after the NSO I opened up more and was not that embarrassed or scared to talk to new people, so that was a blessing. 

I must say, I enjoyed all parts of NSO. I really liked the talks given at the convocation, and the movie. That was the part when I got most inspired, and learned the most. But the most enjoyable part for me was the performances at Tradition of Honor. I was amazed of the beautiful voices and inspiring video clips. And it was also very fun way how to explain (or remind of) the Honor Code. 

I have a really important thing that I learned during NSO. It was from a talk given at convocation called Fear & Faith. It talked about how fear influenced our decisions and our actions. That sometimes we base our decisions on fear. For example, in fear of not being good enough, we settle for less when we choose our future profession and do not study what we want most. But instead we should focus on making our decisions of faith. And whenever we are faced with a dilemma, see which decision is based on fear and which is based on faith, and choose the one that is based on faith. That really struck me, as I understood that this particularly applies to me. I made a resolution to not be afraid that I will not be good enough or what others are going to say, but do what I want most and do my best. 

I recommend for all new students to attend new student orientation. It is unforgettable and really helpful experience.